A bed in an intensive care unit is a high-tech device. It provides numerous different modes of operation and equipment features. We were asked to realize the design of such a bed for a Boeing B757 in carbon fiber technology. In addition to the commission the customer had a long list of special requests which had to be considered within the project.
Amongst others the most important features were:
- US approval according to FAR25
- Electromechanical adjustment of the entire bed according to medical standards
- In case of an emergency, all electric adjustment options would have to be manually operable
- High lying comfort
- Accommodation of medical devices as well as their supply with electrical power, medical oxygen, compressed air and vacuum
- Light structure by means of fiber composite